In exercise of the powers conferred by Section 326 read with sub-section (1) of Section 76 of Andhra Pradesh Municipalities Act, 1965 (Act. No. 6 of 1965) and Section 139 of Municipal Corporation Act, 1955 read with Sub-section (1) of Section 14 of A.P. Municipal Corporations Act, 1994 and Sub-section (1) of Section 7 of Visakhapatnam Municipal Corporation Act, 1979 and Vijayawada Municipal Corporation Act, 1981, the Governor of Andhra Pradesh hereby makes the following rules namely the Andhra Pradesh Municipal General Subordinate Service Rules, 2019.
- These rules may be called the Andhra Pradesh Municipal General Subordinate Service Rules, 2019.
- These rules shall be applicable to all the Municipalities constituted under Andhra Pradesh Municipalities Act, 1965 and all the Municipal Corporations constituted under Municipal Corporation Act, 1955 read with Sub-section (1) of Section 14 of A.P. Municipal Corporations Act, 1994 and Greater Visakhapatnam Municipal Corporation Act, 1979 and Vijayawada Municipal Corporation Act, 1981.
- These rules shall come into force from the date of publication of the Rules in Andhra Pradesh Gazette.
In these rules, unless the contest otherwise requires, the words and expressions used in these rules shall carry the same meaning as defined under the Andhra Pradesh Municipalities Act, 1965 and Municipal Corporation Act, 1955 read with Sub-section (1) of Section 14 of A.P. Municipal Corporations Act, 1994 and Greater Visakhapatnam Municipal Corporation Act, 1979 and Vijayawada Municipal Corporation Act, 1981.
The Andhra Pradesh Municipal General Subordinate Service shall consist of the following categories of posts, namely
|1.||Ministerial||Category-I||Ward Administrative Secretary|
|Category-II||Ward Education & Data Processing Secretary|
|2.||Public Health||Category-I||Ward Sanitation & Environment Secretary, Grade-II|
|3.||Engineering||Category-I||Ward Amenities Secretary, Grade-II|
|4.||Town Planning||Category-I||Ward Planning & Regulation Secretary, Grade-II|
|5.||Welfare & Development||Category-I||Ward Welfare & Development Secretary, Grade-II|
Unit of appointment
Each District is a separate unit of appointment for the posts included in this service.
Method of Appointment:
|Class||Category||Method of appointment||Appointing Authority|
|1. Ministerial||Ward Administrative Secretary||By Direct Recruitment By appointment by transfer from the category of Ward Education & Data Processing Secretary||RDMA concerned|
|Ward Education & Data Processing Secretary||By Direct recruitment||RDMA concerned|
|2. Public Health||Ward Sanitation & Environment Secretary, Grade-II||By Direct recruitment||RDMA concerned|
|3. Engineering||Ward Amenities Secretary, Grade-II||By Direct recruitment||SE, PH concerned|
|4.Town Planning||Ward Planning & Regulation Secretary, Grade-II||By Direct recruitment||RDDTP concerned|
|5.Welfare & Development||Ward Welfare & Development Secretary, Grade-II||By Direct recruitment||RDMA concerned|
Whenever a Gram Panchayat is included in the
Municipality/Municipal Corporation, the persons holding the posts similar to the posts included in this service will be absorbed in appropriate categories of this service, provided they opt for Municipal service. The past service rendered by the above persons will be considered in fixing inter-se-seniority in this service.
Note 2 : The existing employees working in different services viz., *Bill Collector, *Work Inspector, *Tap Inspector, *Fitter, *T.P. Tracer working in the Urban Local Bodies in the equal scale of pay shall be absorbed into this Service under initial category.
*Hereafter all the Bill Collector posts will be re-designated as Ward Administrative Secretaries.
*Hereafter all the Work Inspector, Tap Inspector, Fitter posts will be redesignated as Ward Amenities Secretaries Grade-II.
*Hereafter all the Town Planning Tracer posts will be re-designated as Town Planning & Regulation Secretaries Grade-II.
The minimum period of service for a member of a service from the lower category, class or grade to the next higher category, class or grade, whether such appointment is made either by promotion in the regular line or by recruitment by transfer from any other service, that period shall be three years in the category, class or grade from which such promotion or transfer is made.
No person shall be eligible for appointment to the category of posts in Column No. 2 of the table unless one possesses the qualifications prescribed in the corresponding entries in column 3 thereof;
|Class||Category of Post||Qualification prescribed|
|1. Ministerial||Ward Administrative Secretary||Must Possess a Bachelor’s Degree from any University in India or a State Act or an Institution recognised by the UGC or any equivalent qualification.|
|Ward Education & Data Processing Secretary||Any Graduate in computer science|
|2. Public Health||Ward Sanitation & Environment Secretary, Grade-II||Any Graduate in Sciences (B.Sc) or Environmental Engineering and above|
|3. Engineering||Ward Amenities Secretary, Grade-II||Polytechnic Diploma in Civil/Mechanical Engineering or above|
|4. Town Planning||Ward Planning & Regulation Secretary, Grade-II||Polytechnic Diploma in Civil Engineering/L.A.A. or B. Arch / B. Planning or above|
|5. Welfare & Development||Ward Welfare & Development Secretary, Grade-II||A Graduate in Arts and Humanities and above|
Reservation of appointment
Reservation in appointments shall be as per provisions contained in Rule 22 and 22 A of the Andhra Pradesh State and Subordinate Service Rules, 1996 and subsequent amendments issued from time to time.
The rules governing the minimum and maximum age for direct recruitment in the government service shall mutatis-mutandis apply to all categories of this Service.
- Where it is necessary in the public interest owing to an emergency which has arisen to immediately fill a vacancy, the appointing authority may promote a person purely on a temporary basis, until a person is appointed in accordance with these rules.
- No person who does not possess the prescribed qualification shall be promoted under sub-rule (1)
- A person promoted under sub-rule (1) shall not be regarded as probationer in the higher category or be entitled for any preferential claim for future promotion to such higher category or seniority
The seniority of the members of the service shall be determined as per Rules 33 to 36 of the Andhra Pradesh State and Subordinate Service Rules, 1996.
Every person appointed to a category in the service shall from the date on which he joins duty, be on probation for a total period of two years on duty within a continuous period of three years, if recruited direct and for a total period of one year on duty within a continuous period of two years, if appointed by promotion or transfer.
Postings and Transfers
The appointing authority concerned is competent authority to issue transfer or order postings for the categories.
- Every person appointed by direct recruitment in any category shall pass the following tests within the period of probation.
i) Accounts Test for Subordinate Officers – Part I and Part II
- If any person fails to pass the above tests within the period of probation or within such extended period, he shall be discharged from service by the appointing authority;
Provided that the said period may be extended by the competent authority from time to time.
- No person shall be eligible for promotion unless he/she passes the test prescribed in sub rule (1).
Conditions of Service
In matters not covered by these rules, the members of the Service shall be governed by all the rules applicable to government servants.
Pay and allowances
- A member of the Service shall draw pay and all allowances admissible as per the orders of the Government issued from time to time
- Expenditure on pay and allowances of the members of the service shall be made under detailed Head of Account “010 – Salaries” through Government Treasury as per orders issued in G.O. Ms. No. 179 MA & UD Dept., Dt. 25.02.2009 and subsequent orders issued by the Government from time to time.
The Commissioner is competent to sanction all kinds of leave to the members of the service.
Leave salary of the members of the service shall be paid through Government Treasury under detailed Head of Account “010 – Salaries”.
Loans and Advances
The Commissioner is competent to sanction loans and advances to the members of the service as per the rules applicable to government servants from the municipal fund.
Discipline and Control
- The Andhra Pradesh Civil Services (Classification, Control and Appeal) Rules, 1991 applicable to the government servants shall apply to the members of this service except to the extent indicated hereunder;
- The Commissioner may place a member of any
category of this Service under suspension pending inquiry/ investigation into
criminal complaints or on filing charge sheet in a court of Law or impose the
- Withholding of increment, and
- Recovery from pay of the whole or part of any pecuniary loss caused to the Corporation by negligence or breach of orders while working in the Corporation:
Provided that –
period of suspension shall not exceed six months
- The Appointing Authority concerned shall also have the power to place a member of Service under suspension pending inquiry into grave charges or impose the said penalties.
- The authority which may impose the following
penalties on a member of this Service, shall be the appointing authority
- Reduction to lower rank in the seniority list or to a lower post or time scale or to a lower stage in a time scale
- Withholding of increment / promotion
- Compulsory retirement from service
- Removal from service
- Dismissal from service
- An appeal against any order passed by the Commissioner shall lie to the concerned appointing authorities and it shall be made within 1 month.
- An appeal against any order passed by the concerned appointing authorities shall lie to the concerned Head of the Department and it shall be made within 3 months
- The period of three months is reckoned from the date of receipt by the member of this Service of the order imposing the penalty.
The Andhra Pradesh Civil Services (Conduct) Rules, 1964 applicable to government servants as amended from time to time shall apply to the members of this Service.
(1) The employees appointed on or after 01.09.2004 and who are promoted in this service and persons recruited direct to this service shall be governed by contributory pension scheme introduced in G.O. Ms. No. 653 Finance (Pension.I) Dept., Dt. 22.09.2004.
- The C&DMA shall notify the vacancies intended for direct recruitment in the first instance as per the existing service rules of categories prescribed therein.
- The concerned appointing authorities shall notify the vacancies in subsequent recruitments under this Service rules.
Repeal and Savings
- Nothing in these rules shall adversely affect the interests of any person who was appointed prior to the commencement of these rules according to the rules then in force.
If there is any discrepancy in interpreting the rules, the matter shall be referred to Government and orders passed thereon are final.