tgnns logo

Adani Group to Collect Electricity Bills in Hyderabad’s Old City

Adani Group to Collect Electricity Bills in Hyderabad’s Old City

Hyderabad’s Old City is set for a significant change as the Adani Group takes charge of power distribution. Chief Minister Revanth Reddy made this announcement in New Delhi on June 27. This decision has sparked a wave of reactions and controversies, especially from the Bharat Rashtra Samithi (BRS).

Adani Group’s Role in Power Distribution

The Adani Group, led by Gautam Adani, will pilot this project in Hyderabad’s Old City. Chief Minister Reddy highlighted that the move aims to address the persistent issue of unpaid electricity bills and the risks faced by electricity staff during collections. This project is expected to extend to the entire city of Hyderabad and eventually across the state if successful.

Revenue Distribution

A critical aspect of this agreement is the revenue-sharing model. According to Chief Minister Reddy, 25% of the revenue collected from electricity bills will go to the Adani Group, while the remaining 75% will be retained by the state government. This arrangement was finalized after multiple discussions and an agreement between the state government and the Adani Group.

Reactions and Controversies

The announcement has been met with sharp criticism from various political leaders. BRS spokesperson Manne Krishank accused Congress MP Rahul Gandhi of hypocrisy, referring to a Telugu media report. Former head of the state’s Digital Media division under the BRS, Konatham Dileep, labeled the development as “daylight robbery.”

He expressed his outrage on social media, accusing Revanth Reddy of handing over electricity bill collection in Telangana to the Adani Group. Dileep questioned the necessity of involving a private corporate entity in domestic power bill collection if Congress is committed to providing free electricity under the Gruha Jyothi scheme.

Criticisms of the Decision

Critics argue that outsourcing electricity bill collection to a private corporation undermines public interest. They question the Congress party’s stance on handing over public utilities to private companies like the Adani Group. There are also concerns about the impact on the residents of Old City, with allegations of stereotyping and disrespect towards them.

Future Implementation Plans

Chief Minister Reddy emphasized that this model would gradually be implemented across Hyderabad and eventually throughout the state. He reassured that the Adani Group has agreed to the terms set by the state government, and discussions have been successfully concluded.

Addressing Public Concerns

Despite the controversies, the government maintains that the decision aims to improve efficiency and safety in electricity bill collection. The non-payment of bills and assaults on electricity staff are significant issues that the government hopes to address through this initiative.

Conclusion

The decision to involve the Adani Group in electricity bill collection in Hyderabad’s Old City has ignited a debate on public versus private control of utilities. As this pilot project unfolds, its impact on the city’s power distribution and the broader implications for the state will be closely watched. The controversy underscores the delicate balance between improving efficiency and safeguarding public interests in the management of essential services.

Related Articles

Ladli Behna Awas Yojana 2023 సైబర్ నేరాలపై పోలీసుల వినూత్న ప్రచారం Telangana Police Ram Gopal Varma’s 9 Critical Questions for Pawan Kalyan Reliance Foundation Scholarships 2023 Chandrababu Naidu’s Arrest: A Storm in Andhra Pradesh