The Government of India has restructured the Centrally Sponsored Scheme of Swarna Jayanti Shahari Rozgar Yojana (SJSRY) w.e.f. September, 2013 as a Mission mode approach for the promotion of Livelihoods of the urban poor and renamed it as National Urban Livelihoods Mission (NULM).
The aim of the National Urban Livelihoods Mission (NULM) is to reduce poverty and vulnerability of the urban poor households by enabling them to access gainful self-employment and skilled wage employment opportunities, resulting in an appreciable improvement in their livelihoods on a sustainable basis, by building strong grassroot level institutions of the poor. The Mission would also aim at providing shelter equipped with essential services to the urban homeless in a phased manner. In addition, the Mission would also address livelihood credit, social security and skills to the urban street vendors for accessing emerging market opportunities. The Operational guidelines communicated by Government of India stipulates for designation of State Level Nodal Agency and State Level Nodal Officer for implementation of NULM.
The Mission for Elimination of Poverty in Municipal Areas (MEPMA) is looking after the SJSRY in the State and addressing the issues of poverty in urban areas and also dealing with slums since its inception and the preparatory work of NULM is also being done by MEPMA. The Mission Director, MEPMA vide reference 2nd cited submitted proposals stating that in order to implement programmes under NULM in the State effectively and to ensure achieving the objectives of NULM, it is desirable to designate a State Level Nodal agency and State Level Nodal Officer
After careful examination of the request of Mission Director, MEPMA and Government of India guidelines the Government hereby designate the Mission for Elimination of Poverty in Municipal Areas (MEPMA), Hyderabad as State Level Nodal Agency (SLNA) and Mission Director, MEPMA as State Level Nodal Officer for implementation and monitoring of programmes / schemes under National Urban Livelihoods Mission (NULM).
Functions of the State Level Nodal Agency shall be as under:
• Building capacity of the urban poor, their institutions and the machinery involved in implementation of livelihoods development and poverty alleviation programmes through handholding support.
• Enhancing and expanding existing livelihood options of the urban poor.
• Building skills to enable access to growing market-based job opportunities offered by emerging urban economies.
• Training for and support to the establishment of micro-enterprises by the urban poor – self and group.
• Ensure availability and access for the urban homeless population to permanent 24-hour shelter including basic infrastructural facilities like water supply, sanitation, safety and security.
• Cater to the needs of especially vulnerable segments of the urban homeless like the dependent children, aged, disabled, mentally ill, and recovering patients etc., by creating special sections within homeless shelters and provisioning special service linkages for them.
• To establish strong rights-based linkages with other programmes which cover the right of the urban homeless to food, healthcare, education, etc. and ensure access for homeless population to various entitlements, including social security pensions, PDS, ICDS, feeding programmes, drinking water, sanitation, identity, financial inclusion, school admission etc., and to affordable housing.
• To address livelihood concerns of the urban street vendors by facilitating access to suitable spaces, institutional credit, social security and skill up gradation to the urban street vendors for accessing emerging market opportunities.
The Mission Director, MEPMA shall take further necessary action in the matter.
Municipal Administration and Urban Development Department – National Urban Livelihoods Mission (NULM) announced by Government of India – Setting up of State Level Nodal Agency and State Level Nodal Officer – Designating the Mission for Elimination of Poverty in Municipal Areas (MEPMA) as State Level Nodal Agency and the Mission Director, MEPMA as State Level Nodal Officer for NULM – Orders – Issued.
MUNICIPAL ADMINISTRATION AND URBAN DEVELOPMENT (UBS) DEPARTMENT
G.O.Ms.No. 134 Dated: 24-07-2014
1. Mission Document of NULM issued by Government of India, Ministry of Housing & Urban Poverty Alleviation.
2. From Mission Director, MEPMA Lr.Roc.No. 30/2014/MEPMA/E1 Dt. 22.02.2014