orders were issued according permission to the Director of Medical Education for starting the following Post Basic Diploma in various specialties in Nursing of one year duration from the academic year 2013-2014.
i) Post Basic Diploma in Neonatal Nursing.
ii) Post Basic Diploma in Oncology Nursing
iii) Post Basic Diploma in Psychiatric / Mental Health Nursing
iv) Post Basic Diploma in Ortho and Rehabilitation Nursing
v) Post Basic Diploma in Critical Care Nursing
vi) Post Basic Diploma in Emergency and Disaster Nursing
vii) Post Basic Diploma in Cardiothoracic Nursing
orders were issued framing rules for procedure of admission into the above said Post Basic Diploma in the said 7 (seven) Nursing Specialties.
orders were issued according permission to the Director of Medical Education for starting the Post Basic Diploma in Nurse Practitioner in Midwifery course of one year duration from the academic year, 2013-14.
Chairman, High Power Committee, A.P., Hyderabad has submitted draft rules for admission into Post Basic Diploma in Nurse Practitioner in Midwifery course of one year duration basing on the INC norms along with the fee structure and seat matrix solely basing on G.O.Ms.No. 281, HM&FW(K1) Deptt., dt. 13/10/2010.
5. Government after careful examination of the matter has decided to accept the proposal of the Chairman, High Power Committee / Director of Medical Education and accordingly hereby issue the following rules for admission procedure for admission into Post Basic Diploma in Nurse Practitioner in Midwifery course Nursing Specialty.
6. Accordingly the following notification shall be published in the Andhra Pradesh extraordinary Gazette dated 8-11-2013.
In exercise of the powers conferred by Section 99 of the Andhra Pradesh Education Act, 1982 (Act 1 of 1982) the Governor of Andhra Pradesh hereby makes the following rules for admission into Post Basic Diploma in Nurse Practitioner in Midwifery Nursing Specialty :-
Nationality and domicile: The candidates should be Indian National and should satisfy local or the non-local status requirements as the case may be, as laid down in the Andhra Pradesh Educational Institutions (Regulation of Admissions) Order, 1974 as amended in G.O. (P) No.648, Education (W) Dept., dt.10-7-1979.
Post Basic Diploma in Nurse Practitioner in Midwifery.
Period of Study : One year
Admission Terms and Conditions:
The students seeking admission to this course should:
1. Be a registered nurse and registered midwife (R.N.& R.M)
2. Possess a minimum of one year experience as a staff nurse.
3. Nurses from other countries must obtain an equivalence certificate from INC before admission.
4. Be physically fit.
5. No.of seats 10 students for minimum 500 deliveries per year 20 students for minimum 1000 deliveries per year
Organization of the Course:
A. Duration : Duration of the course is one academic year
B. Distribution of the Course:
1. Teaching : Theory & Clinical practice 42 weeks
2. Internship 4 weeks
3. Examination (including preparation) 2 weeks
4. Vacation 2 weeks
5.Public holidays 2 weeks
At the end of the course the student will be able to develop an understanding of philosophy, principles, methods and issues management, education and research in midwifery and neonatal care. Further more, this course will prepare nurse practitioners for providing maternal and newborn care within the existing peripheral health system in collaboration with other relevant health care providers.
At the end of the course the student will be able to
1. Describe the concepts and principles of neonatal nursing.
2. Provide care using a range of advanced skills as per clinical guidelines for the nurse practitioner in midwifery.
3. Use/demonstrate analytical decision – making skills in providing advanced midwifery and newborn care.
4. Practice midwifery in accordance with the practice Standards for the nurse practitioner in midwifery and newborn care.
5. Demonstrate commitment to the code of Ethics for the nurse Practitioner in midwifery.
6. Communicate effectively and foster family relationships actively.
7. Organize and demonstrate skills in management of maternal and newborn care.
8. Assume professional responsibility and accountability for professional decisions and actions.
9. Practice midwifery and neonatal care in collaboration with other relevant health care providers.
10. Provide evidence of nurturing the personal and professional self.
11. Conduct research in maternal and newborn care.
12. Teach and supervise nurses and allied health workers.
Syllabus: Course of Studies:
1.Clinical Nursing –I (Inclusive of Foundation Courses) Theory Practical 90 Hours
2. Clinical Nursing – II 90 Hours Integrated Clinical Practice 1410 Hours
3. Supervision & Management Clinical Teaching, Elementary Research & Statistics
(i) Supervision & Management
(ii) Clinical Teaching
(iii) Elementary Research & Statistics
4. Internship 160 Hours Total 270 Hours 1570 Hours
• Hours Distribution for theory and practice
42 weeks x 40 hours/ week = 1680 hours
. Block Classes 4 weeks x 40 hours/ week = 160 hours
. Integrated theory & Clinical practice
38 weeks x 40 hours/ week = 1520 hours
(Theory 270 Hrs)* Theory 4 hours / week 28 weeks x 4 hours/weeks
= 112 hours.
Clinical experience 34 hours/weeks
28 weeks x 36 hours/week = 1008 hours.
10 weeks x 40 hours/week = 400 hours.
Internship: 4 weeks x 40 hours = 160 hours.
Examinations: Examinations to be conducted by the Nursing Education Board by Director of Medical Education, Andhra Pradesh, Hyderabad.
Clinical Experience: Areas of clinical experience required.
*Maternal and Neonatal Services : 38 weeks
Sl. No. Units/Departments No. of weeks
1 Antenatal OPD including Infertility clinic / Reproductive medicine, Family Welfare and post partum clinic / PTCT center -6 weeks
2. Antenatal and Postnatal ward – 4 weeks
3. Labour room – 8 weeks
4 Neonatal Intensive Care Unit – 4 weeks
5 Obstetric / Gynae operation Theatre – 4weeks
6 Gynae ward -2 weeks
7 Pediatric OPD / under five clinic -2 weeks
8 Pediatric ward -2 weeks
9 CHC, PHC, SC
Total -38 weeks
Internship* -4 weeks in community
Grand Total 250 550 800
Conditions for Admission to Examination
1) Has attended not less than 75 % of the theoretical instruction hours in
each subject during the year.
2) Has done not less than 75 % of the clinical practical hours. However, students should make up 100 % of attendance for integrated practice experience and internship in term of hours and activities before awarding the certificate.
Standard of passing
1. In order to pass a candidate should obtain at least 50 % marks separately in internal Assessment and external examination in each of the theory practical and papers.
2. a) Less than 60 % is Second division,
b) 60 % and above and below 75 % is First division,
c) 75% and above is Distinctions.
3. Students will be given opportunity of maximum of 3 attempts for passing
A. TITLE – Nurse Practitioner in midwifery (Post basic diploma)
B. A Diploma is awarded upon successful completion of the prescribed study programme, which will state that
(i) Candidate has completed prescribed course of Nurse
Practioner in midwifery (Post Basic diploma).
ii) Candidate has completed prescribed clinical experience.
(iii) Candidate has passed the prescribed examination.
Full time teaching faculty in the ratio of 1:5.
Qualification : (1) M.Sc. Nursing With Obstetrics and Gynae / Community / Pediatrics Specialty.
(2) Nurse Practitioner in midwifery with B.Sc. nursing.
Experience: Minimum 3 years
2. Guest Faculty: Multi-disciplinary in related specialties
1. Class room – 1
2. Nursing Laboratory – 1
3. Library – Current nursing textbooks & journals (national and international Publications) including midwifery, maternal, neonatal, community health and pediatric nursing reference manuals.
4. Teaching Aids – Facilities for the use of
A. Overhead Projector
B. Slide Projector
C. TV with VCP or VCR.
D. LCD Projector
F. Equipment for demonstration of skills (manikins, resusci baby, zoe model, ambubag and mask, care equipments etc).
5. Office facilities.
Services of typist peon safai Karamchari
Facilities for office, equipment and supplies, such as
2. Computer with printer
3. Xerox machine / Risograph
4. Telephone and fax
Minimum Bed Strength – 50 bedded parent hospital having:
– Mother and neonatal units
– Case load of minimum 500 deliveries per year
– 8-10 level II neonatal units.
– Affiliation with level III neonatal units.
– Affiliated to Rural Hospital / CHC
The tuition fee is fixed
a) At Rs. 15,000/- (Rupees fifteen thousands only) per annum for each student for 40 % Government quota seats, and
up to Rs. 70,000/- (Rupees seventy thousands only) per each student for 60 % Management seats.
b) To fix a fee of Rs. 300/- (Rupees three hounded only) per subject as referred fee ( for failed students).
c) To fix the special fee for each student for both Govt. quota seats and Management seats as follows:
1 Admission fee Rs. 500/- per annum
2 Caution money deposit (refundable) Rs. 1,500/- (as one time payment)
3 Special fee (Extra curricular, Sports,
Games, function etc) Rs. 1,500/- per annum.
4 Uniform fee Rs. 2,500/- per annum
5 Transportation Rs. 3,600/- per annum
(Rs. 300/- P.M)
6 Library fee Rs. 900/- per
7 Laboratory fee Rs. 2,500/- per annum
The Director of Medical Education, A.P., Hyderabad shall take necessary action in the matter accordingly.
(vi) Post Basic Diploma in Emergency and Disaster Nursing
(vii) Post Basic Diploma in Cardiothoracic Nursing
orders were issued regarding rules for admission procedure for admission into Post Basic Diploma in 7 (seven) Nursing Specialties.
Chairman, High Power Committee, Hyderabad has submitted proposals for starting of Nurse Practitioner in Midwifery course along with draft rules prepared in consultation with DME for admission into the course basing on the INC norms duly indicating the fee structure and seat matrix also solely basing on G.O.Ms.No.281, HM&FW(K1) Deptt., dt. 13/10/2010.
The Chairman, High Power Committee, Hyderabad and DME have therefore, requested the Government to issue necessary orders for starting of the course.
Government after careful examination of the proposal hereby accord permission to the DME for starting the Post Basic Diploma in Nurse Practitioner in Midwifery course of one year duration from the academic year 2013-2014.
The rules and regulations to the above course will be issued separately.
The Director of Medical Education, A.P., Hyderabad shall take necessary action accordingly.