Reliable and timely statistics form the basis for any policy formulation. A consistent estimate of Agricultural Area pertaining to different crops is essential for estimation of production figures and finally for computing the gross value of output from a specific sub-sector. The Directorate of Economics & Statistics collects season-wise, crop-wise and source-wise area statistics for which Revenue records is the primary source. The I&CAD department also collects irrigated area statistics basing on the hydro-geological boundaries and Irrigation Potential created. Similarly, other departments like Agriculture and Horticulture are also engaged in the collection of area statistics.
2. There is a felt need for evolving a scientific system of data collection by the different data collecting agencies on area statistics using a clear and consistent methodology at the grassroots level and harmonizing the work of various departments. This will ensure a single uniform reconciled area statistics and source wise irrigated area of various crops sown, which will help in proper planning.
3. Government after careful examination of the issue, hereby constitute a Committee of Secretaries to examine the issues relating to a uniform scientific system to secure a dependable, single figure of reconciled data and evolve uniform procedure for collection of area statistics and crop-wise, source-wise irrigated areas for every season from grassroot level with the Spl. Chief Secretary, I&CAD as Chairman and the following as members:-
|1||Principal Secretary to Government, Agriculture.||Member|
|2.||Principal Secretary to Government, Agriculture
|3.||Principal Secretary to Government, Revenue||Member|
|4.||Principal Secretary to Government, Planning||Member-Convenor|
|5.||Director General, APSRAC.,||Member|
|6.||Director, Directorate of Economics & Statistics||Member|
|7.||Engineer-in-Chief, Irrigation (Irrigation & CADA)||Member|
4. Scope of the Committee:
The Committee shall have consultations and examine the following issues in detail and offer possible suggestions:
I. The best practices adopted in different states of the Country in respect of source-wise, crop-wise and season-wise area and irrigation statistics and come out with suggestions for improvement in the existing data collection mechanism.
II. Discuss the existing data collection methodologies being adopted in the State resulting in variations in data and explore the possible convergence for data collection methods being adopted by different agencies (departments) in the State.
III. Restoration of joint azmoish system i.e., visiting of village fields jointly with local authorities of Revenue, Irrigation, Agriculture, Horticulture, Fisheries etc., village-level functionaries every month to collect and record the crop-wise and source-wise irrigated area statistics.
IV. Counter checking of the filed level data with those depicted by the Remote Sensing GIS maps by APSRAC and identify the causes leading to data discrepancy and factor them into the new methodology to be suggested by the Committee.
V. Constitution of Mandal-level, District-level Committees under the Chairmanship of respective Tahsildar and District Collector involving all the Mandal-level and District-level stakeholders as members to meet at the end of every season to discuss and to arrive at a uniform reconciled area figures.
VI. Any other issue that merits discussion to possibly help arrive at a convergent methodology finally resulting in more reliable and near accurate area statistics.
5. The Committee can invite the Secretaries of other Departments/NGOs/ other reputed organizations having related field level experience as special invitees for the meetings.
6. The Committee shall meet as frequently as possible to review the progress and have interactions with the District Administration also.
7. The Committee shall submit its recommendations to the Government within three (3) months.