A major tragedy occurred in Mugalivakkam , Kanchipuram District near Chennai on evening of 28-6-2014 in which a 11 storeyed building under construction called ‘Trust Heights ‘ collapsed and a large number of Construction Workers mostly belonging to Srikakulam and Vizianagaram Districts of Andhra Pradesh were buried under the debris.
2. The State Government rushed teams of Revenue, Labour and other Departments including Joint Collector, Nellore from nearby Districts of Nellore and Chittoor as well as from the Districts of Srikakulam and Vizianagarm for the purpose of providing assistance to the affected families. The Government, on 29-6-2014, deputed Senior Officers to supervise the rescue operations on behalf of Government of A.P. Hon’ble Chief Minister Sri N. Chandrababu Naidu visited the spot on 30-06-2014. The rescue and search operation was completed on early morning hours of 4.7.2014. The final recovery of dead bodies / injured persons was as follows:
Dead Injured Total
Total (including All States) 61 27 88
Andhra Pradesh 38 11 49
Srikakulam 14 2 16
Vizianagaram 24 9 33
3. Hon’ble Chief Minister, after visiting the site and having detailed interaction with the relatives of the affected persons, was kind enough to announce the following reliefs.
(i) Ex-gratia of Rs. 5 Lakhs for death cases and Rs. 50,000 for injured persons along with reimbursement of total medical expenses
(ii) Special relief of Rs. 25,000 for each family of affected person to compensate loss of wages and other expenditure incurred in reaching the spot etc.,
(iii) Better accommodation in hotel and provision of vehicles for transportation to hospital/ mortuary etc., and also free transport for travel back to native place.
4. Government, after careful consideration, hereby sanction ex-gratia and other relief to the legal heirs / authorized persons in respect of the deceased and to the injured persons of Srikakulam and Vizianagaram Districts and order that the expenditure shall be met as follows:
(i) Ex-gratia of Rs. 5 (Five) lakhs in cases of death-
Rs. 3 (Three) lakhs from Chief Minister’s Relief Fund and Rs. 2 (Two) lakhs from A.P. Building and Other Construction Workers Welfare Board (APBOCCWB) under LET&F Department.
:: 2 ::
ii) Ex-gratia of Rs.50,000/- ( Fifty Thousand) in case of injured persons, special relief of Rs. 25,000 (Twenty Five Thousand) for each family of affected person to compensate loss of wages and other expenditure incurred in reaching the spot etc., and expenditure connected with better accommodation in hotel, provision of vehicles for transportation for local and travelling back to native place and other miscellaneous expenditure
The expenditure shall be met from the funds of A.P. Building and Other Construction Workers Welfare Board (APBOCCWB).
5. Revenue (CMRF) Department shall issue necessary Cheques of Rs. 3 (Three) lakhs from CMRF in cases of death.
6. The A.P. Building and Other Construction Workers Welfare Board (APBOCCWB) shall issue Cheques of Rs. 2.25 Lakhs for each case of death and Rs.75,000 (Seventy Five) in cases of injury and meet the other expenditure as per the bills / details authorized by Commissioner of Labour, A.P., Hyderabad.
7. The Collectors of Srikakulam and Vizianagaram shall furnish details to Revenue (CMRF) Department and A.P. Building and Other Construction Workers Welfare Board for issuing of cheques. They shall ensure that the cheques are handed over to the concerned persons under proper acknowledgement without any delay.
8. Necessary action shall be taken accordingly and compliance report sent to Government.